Sunday, October 12, 2008

Opportunities Knock First

When I was in high school and in college, I was one of those pathetic people who tried too hard. I tried everything to be popular, to find a boy that liked me back, to dress in the trendiest clothes, and what not. I didn't go with any flow that life gave me~ I didn't want to be me, but wanted to be someone better, who had everything going for them.
Well, that didn't work. I didn't find any guys, I wasn't popular, and man, no matter what clothes I bought, I never did look as trendy as those other girls.
After college, I stopped caring. I stopped trying to impress people, and stopped trying to find all the ideal things to make my life great. That was when my life started to get rather interesting.
Life threw at my a few chance encounters~ little instances that would ultimately make my life better.
They started small. Two chance encounters with a song playing on the radio ultimately became songs from two of my favorite bands. It was the right place at the right time kind of thing. If I was out of the room at that time, I wouldn't have heard them, and would likely to have never heard them again, as they weren't popular songs.
A bigger chance encounter was my discovery of Etsy.com. I was reading someone's myspace page one day, and saw a post they had written describing their Etsy store. This wasn't even one of my friends~ I don't really remember why I was on this person's page, but I am glad I was. I researched the site and decided to try it out, resulting in a fantastic journey of highs and lows into the world of jewelry and trying to make it as a small business.
My favorite chance encounter is my boyfriend of four years. After college I chose to live with my grandparents for awhile to keep the job that I accepted, until I could find an apartment. One day, he happened to drive by my grandparents' house, and I happened to be out on the porch. I saw this car stop in the middle of the road, but I thought nothing of it. A couple of days later he came up to my grandparents' house (he lived just down the road) and we ended up having a conversation. Over the next couple of days he would come over to my grandparents', to fix things around their house. But my grandmother told me he wasn't coming over just for that. :) He asked me out one night and we've been together ever since.
So I've realized that I must stop this huge search for these big opportunities in life~ they will come, and often just by accident. Don't go scouring Amazon.com for music that you might like (okay I may be the only one who does that), your favorite bands will pop up eventually. Live your life, always going with the flow. Yes, I am going to strive toward my Etsy business, but I have to try to do other things in life besides it, and stop obsessing over that next sale. I am going to just try to be myself. Opportunities have to knock first~ they tend to run and hide when you go on a manhunt for them.

No comments: